Here is a simple guide for using Log Parser Lizard GUI query software successfully to view and analyze your system event logs log files:
- Run Log Parser Lizard
- Create a new query by clicking on the “New query” button on the toolbar
- From the drop down list in the toolbar select your input log format (for example 'Windows Event Log')
- Check properties (the button next to the drop down list) – these are equivalent to MS LogParser command line switches or leave defaults.
- Enter a simple query (as you would in MS LogParser command line) in a query text box in the bottom of the window (ex. select top 10 * from System) to see if it works.
- Click "Run Query"
- See results
- You can organize your queries in
separate groups (the groups are on the left of the main window in the
so-called-outlook-bar). Manage groups from the "Home" toolbar tab.
- In the “Manage Constants” dialog box you can set constants (similar to C/C++ macros) that would be replaced in every query.
- You can configure the query options for exporting data with queries.
- You can always save results in Microsoft Excel file for future analysis.
- From the Chart drop down menu, you can select your preferred chart type (column, pie, 2D, 3D) and/or save it to graphic file (jpg, gif)
- Use Chart Wizard to add data series, select your preferred chart type (column, pie, 2D, 3D) and chart appearance.
- Use right mouse click on grid view header to configure the data grid.
- Use right mouse click on grid footer to add column summaries